The John Burton Harter Foundation empowers awareness of the visual and queer arts and deepens understanding of Harter’s contributions to them.
JBHF makes possible nonprofit projects and initiatives that increase the visibility of Harter’s art and enhances the impact of arts organizations on audiences and in communities.
To that end, JBHF has sponsored exhibitions, catalogues, publications, and initiatives through funding or gifts of original Harter works since its founding in 2002.
Organizations, institutions, and activities that have received support include:
- Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art quarterly newsletter, The Archive (2002-present); MALE GAZE: Life, Legacy, Legend (2019); Expanded Visions: Fifty Years of Collecting exhibition (2017); The Classical Nude and the Making of Queer History exhibition (2014); The Culture of Queer: A Tribute to J.B. Harter exhibition (2006)
- Saints + Sinners Literary Festival annual event and literary journal (2012-present)
- CrescentCare New Orleans health clinic art collection loan and funding gifts (2018-present)
- New Orleans Museum of Art Odyssey Ball events (2013-2015); exhibitions and programs (2009); exhibition and catalog for Gentleman Callers, Paul Cadmus, and George Dureau from the Collection of Kenneth Holditch exhibition (2008)
- LA LGBT Center Learning Curve Program (2013-2015)
- New Orleans Film Society OUTakes (2014-2015)
- NO/AIDS Task Force 24th-26th Annual Art Against AIDS Galas (2010-2013) and New Orleans AIDS Memorial (2008)
- The Gay and Lesbian Review bimonthly journal (2013)
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Community Center of New York’s John Burton Harter Archive Project (2013)
- Forum for Equality 15th Annual Acclaim Awards Silent Auction (2013)
- University of Louisville Foundation LGBT fundraiser (2012)
- Tacoma Art Museum hosting Hide/Seek: Difference and Desire in American Portraiture exhibition (2012)
- Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery hosting Hide/Seek: Difference and Desire in American Portraiture exhibition (2010)
- Zeitgeist Multi-Disciplinary Arts Center programs (2010)
- HERE Arts Center The Lily’s Revenge production (2009)
- Loyola University New Orleans Keith Haring: Print Retrospective, 1982-1990 exhibition catalog (2009)
- The Sons of Tennessee Williams documentary (2008)
- Contemporary Arts Center The Culture of Queer: A Tribute to J. B. Harter exhibition and catalog (2005)
Check out our projects for the latest news, events, and activities.